WildZests: Bar Headed Geese - The high fliers

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Bar Headed Geese - The high fliers

While at the park, on several ocassions i tried to see if I could get a clear view of the bar headed geese, but they were always positioned quite inside from the shoreline. These are really beautiful birds and are known for their high altitude flying capabilities, in fact there are reports which suggest that these are the highest flying birds in the world. During the migration, they cross the Himalayas and sometimes are found flying over heights of more than 15000 ft.

So on Day 3, I did get a bit lucky when a small group of birds landed approx 50m from the shoreline. The only hiccup was that there was no clear view due to the taller grass near the shore. I waited patiently for more than half hour for them to start moving closer towards me and was happy that I could at least get a few decent record shots of these beautiful birds. I would have loved to get a landing shot but given the conditions it was pretty much impossible to get it.

I'd love to get them in Ladakh the next time I'm there. Tso Moriri is a well known breeding ground for these birds and the magnificient lake would be the perfect background to capture these beautiful birds.

Here's one of the decent shots I managed to get from that day:

Tech Specs

Canon 1D Mark IV + Canon 600mm F4 L IS
Shot at 840mm, 1/400s, F8 and ISO 200

Bar Headed Geese

No comments:

Post a Comment